The collection “United by Music” is recommended by the Ministry of Culture of Ukraine, the state methodical center of educational institutions of culture and arts of Ukraine as a pedagogical repertoire of educational institutions of culture and arts.
Characteristics of the collection “United music”
We live in an interesting, but a complex world. And the high purpose of all people of art –is to attract people of all ages to perceive works of art, study them from early childhood, love them, in particular music and poetry, feel their bright energy, and expand their horizons, touching the art of different national cultures.
The creation of this collection came from the desire to gather the thoughts and feelings of poets from different countries in one edition, and try to interpret them through music, permeated by intonations of various epochs and styles.
In the works that have been included in this collection, you can feel the spirit of Ukrainian and French, American and German, Russian, English, and Italian music, where the intonations of the different styles are intertwined and form new sounds, which, in turn, are able to generate a new emotional state. Thus, instilling in the younger generation the sense of positive emotions from unifying with nature, enjoying the singing of the birds, admiring the stars, the sea, clouds; we instill in them the real values in life – kindness, love, compassion, and the desire to share these emotions with other people with the help of music and poetic word.
The collection “United Through Music” keeps the methodical ideas of the previous collection “Art Songs and Vocalises for the Young”*. However, it puts forward new musical-artistic and vocal-technical challenges, expands the age categories of the performers – from the younger students of aesthetic education schools to students of higher musical education institutions, as well as offering alternativeness in performance of most of the works – ranging from a solo variantto an ensemble or a choir one.
*See: “Aspects of Repertoire Formation in Academic Solo Singing Classes. Romances and Vocalises for the Young». Methodical recommendations and sheet music material for music school teachers and teachers at the music departments of primary educational institutions specialising in arts (aesthetic education schools). – Published by: Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Ukraine, State Methodological Centre of Art and Culture Educational Institutions of Ukraine, 2008.
Methodical purpose of the collection
- Supplement to the educational and concert repertoire of vocalists of different age categories with works convenient in the melodic structure and appealing in their harmonious palette;
- Exposure of children and young adults to classical poetry of different countries and epochs;
- Exposure of children and young adults to academic music;
- Performance of vocal compositions in different languages (with an awareness of a specific language’s influence on the formation of pronunciation and the singing of individual sounds, words, and text);
- Proper distribution of the vocal load in the process of voice training due to short duration of the compositions;
- Possibility of performingthe compositionsby beginner vocalists with a limited voice range (parts I and II);
- Possibility of performing majority of the works both solo and as a choir or vocal ensemble (as an option – a soloist with the choir);
- Use of the piano part not only as support for voice, but also as an integral part of the musical-artistic design of the composition;
- Possibility to listen to the audio recording of each composition (+ and -) for the best understanding of the composer’s intent (available online at www.innafrantseskevich.com).
Structure of the Collection
The collection includes 27 compositions, which can be provisionally divided into 3 parts, depending on the age of the performer and his or her vocal training.
Part I – vocalises for various age categories.
Part II – songs and romances for various age categories.
Part III – songs and romances for vocalists with an adequate level of preparation.
A small tessitura volume of compositions ensures the performers open up their voiceon a convenient for them range, helping them feel more confidentand free during concert performances, and allowing them to concentrate on the opening up of the artistic image. Tessitura of the works in parts I and II of the collection generally fluctuates within an octave range – from a minor sixth to a major ninth; in part III – within the limits of a tenth, and rarely the eleventh.
All of the pieces can be performed solo. Many of them – by achoir or an ensemble. It should be noted that in the polyphonic variant of a performance (choir, ensemble), the line of the solo part becomes one of the voices of the partita. That is, the record of the polyphony is provided in two staves. If the second line has 2 voices written, then the piece is for 3 voices, and if there are 3 voices written, then the piece is for four voices.The voice range is specified for soloists.
In the creation of the collection, poems of the following authors were used:
Jacques Pelletier du Mans (1517—1582), France
Pierre de Ronsard (1524—1585), France
Remy Belleau (1533—1577), France
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749—1832), Germany
Jane Taylor (1783—1824), England
George Gordon Byron (1788—1824), England
Fyodor Tyutchev (1803—1873), Russia
Gabriele D’Annunzio (1863—1938), Italy
Lesya Ukrainka (1871—1913), Ukraine
Alexander Blok (1880—1921), Russia
Sergei Yesenin (1895—1925), Russia
Children’s folklore – poems from the collection “Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose”, United Kingdom
The choice of one or another piece for inclusion in the student’s educational or concert repertoire is left to the teacher, who should consider the age of the performer, his or her talent, level of vocal and vocal-artistic skills, as well as the aesthetic preferences of the student.
1. “Канікули” (вокаліз) “Holidays” (vocalise)
2. “Колискова” (вокаліз) “Lullaby” (vocalise)
3. “Русалонька” (вокаліз) “The Little Mermaid” (vocalise)
4. “Вередлива принцеса” (вокаліз) “The Naughty Princess” (vocalise)
5. “Ностальгія” (вокаліз) “Nostalgia” (vocalise)
6. “Little bird” Written by Traditional. ” Воробей”Англійські народні вірші. Переклад М. Бородицької
7. “Little pussy” . Written by Traditional. “Маленькая кошечка” Англійські народні вірші. Переклад невідомого автора
8. “Little star” Words by Jane Taylor. “Маленькая звёздочка” Слова Дж. Тейлор, переклад О. Седакової
9. “Береза” Слова С. Єсеніна. “The Birch-Tree” Words by S. Esenin, translation by P. Tempest
10. “Mailied” Words by J. W. Goethe. “Майова пісня” Слова Й. В. Гете. Переклади В. Стуса та А. Фета
11. “В небе тают облака…” Слова Ф. Тютчева. “Clouds melt in the sky…” Words by F. Tyutchev. Translation to English by F. Jude
12. “Звёзды” Слова С. Єсеніна. “The stars” Words by S. Esenin, translation by P. Tempest
13. “Mare di notte” Words by G. D’Annunzio. “Ночное море” Слова Г. Д’Аннунціо, переклад Є. Солоновича
14. “A la fontaine bellerie” Words by Pierre de Ronsard. “Моему ручью”Слова П’єр де Ронсар, переклад В. Левіка
15. “L’alouette” Words by Jacques Pelletier du Mans. “Жаворонок” Слова Жака Пелентьє дю Ман, переклад О. Паріна
16. “Океан”Слова Ф. Тютчева . “The Ocean”Words by F. Tyutchev, translations by unknown authors
17. “Девушка пела в церковном хоре” Слова О. Блока. “The girl was singing in a church choir” Words by A. Blok, translation by A. Vagapov
18. “She Walks in Beauty” Words by J. G. Byron. “Она идёт во всей красе” Слова Дж. Г. Байрона, переклад С. Маршака
19. “Avril ” Words by R. Belleau. “Апрель” Слова Р. Белло, переклад Є. Вітковського
20. “Пісня Русалки” (з драми – феєрії “Лісова пісня”) Cлова Л. Українки
“Water Sprite’s song” (from faery drama “Forest song”) Words by L. Ukrainka, translation by G. Evans
21. “Перша пісня Мавки” (з драми – феєрії “Лісова пісня”) Слова Л. Українки
“The first Mavka’s song” (from faery drama “Forest song”)Words by L. Ukrainka, translation by G. Evans
22. “Друга пісня Мавки” Слова Л. Українки
“The second Mavka’s song” Words by L. Ukrainka, translation by G. Evans
23. “Третя пісня Мавки”Слова Л. Українки
“The third Mavka’s song” Words by L. Ukrainka, translation by G. Evans
24. “Четверта пісня Мавки”Слова Л. Українки
“The fourth Mavka’s song” Words by L. Ukrainka, translation by G. Evans
25. “Пісня Перелесника” (з драми – феєрії “Лісова пісня”) Слова Л. Українки
“Red Demon’s song” (from faery drama “Forest song”) Words by L. Ukrainka, translation by G. Evans
26. “Nähe des Geliebten” Words byJ. W. Goethe “Близькість коханого” Слова Й. В. Гете.
Переклади П. Тимочка та А. Дельвіга
27. “Silentium” Слова Ф. Тютчева. Words by F. Tyutchev
Translations to English by unknown author